Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tanner


Well we finally had to make the awful decision to have Tanner put down. He had two seizures Monday and another one Tuesday. They really did a number on him this time. He was acting different this time after having them and it lasted far longer than it had before. He wouldn't lay down, eat or sleep. He didn't use the bathroom for a day and a half. Do I called the vets office to take him in. I knew this time we would have to do it. We had thought of it before but never went through with it. I just couldn't don it, ya know. We got to the vet's and he looked at him and said he was healthy. Jesse told him about him being hit by the car last year and then he started having the seizures about 6 months later. He said that was probably what caused them and it was brain trauma. Well I kind of knew this. He talked to us about the seizures and meds. he said they may work or may not that he couls still have them. He also started talking about brain damage and that was why he probably didn't eat or go out. That the nerves in his brain had went haywire and he forgot how to. So he said it was more humane to have him put to sleep. (don't ya just love that damn term) So we decided to. Tanner seemed like he came around for just a few seconds and he looked at me with those big brown calf eyes he had as if to say It's ok mommy. Then he went back to the staring . So the vet gave him a sedative and when it started taking effect he had a small seizure and I held him in my arms and told him it was OK just go to sleep and the pain will stop. You won't suffer anymore puppy. He went to sleep after the sedative took effect. Then the vet gave him the shot. He layed in my arms til he went to sleep forever. He took three deep breaths and he was gone. Forever. I'll never see him again. God I miss him too.

1 comment:

bluebellesmom said...

Oh, Tabatha, I am so sorry for your loss. He was such a part of your family. It takes true courage to let someone or something go. I will say a prayer for you and yours!
Elaine